CODE OF CONDUCT FOR PARENTS AND CARERS
British Triathlon is committed to maintaining the highest possible standards of behaviour and conduct at all Triathlon, duathlon and related multi-sport events.
The British Triathlon ‘Code of Conduct for parents’ summarizes the essence of good ethical conduct and practice within Triathlon. This applies not only to parents, but also to guardians, career’s, families and spectators alike.
All such individuals have a responsibility to act with integrity, in accordance with the standards set by British Triathlon below any discriminatory, offensive and violent behaviour is unacceptable and complaints will be acted upon under the procedures of our Safeguarding and Protecting Children Policy.
Code of Conduct
· Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person, within the context of the Sport.
· Treat everyone equally and sensitively, and do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
· Encourage your child to learn the British Triathlon rules and compete within them.
· Publicly accept officials’ judgements and abide by their instructions, providing they do not contradict the spirit of this code.
· Teach your child to respect the event officials.
· Help your child to recognise good performance, not just results to avoid undue disappointment.
· Never punish or belittle a child for losing or making mistakes.
· Support your child’s involvement and help them to enjoy their sport.
· Remember that the aim of the Sport is for the children to have fun, improve and feel good.
· Set a good example by applauding all good performance, whether by your child or by another.
· Use correct and proper language at all times.
· Remember that young people learn best by example.
· Recognise the value and importance or volunteers, coaches, referee’s and event organisers – it is their time and dedication that keeps the Sport alive.
· Young people are involved in organised sport for their enjoyment – not yours, so do not force your child to take part.
Signed Stephen Hilton
Date Sept 2015